April 1, 2010

The good stuff...

The seeds came in the mail a few days ago. It's been bright, sunshiny and warm the last few days. I've been to the library to gather sources. All of this means... the garden is coming. I continually have to remind myself that this process will be slow. Although a lot of work is required the results won't come immediately like I am used to in this "instant gratification society." Even though it's difficult for me to wait sometimes, this is the precise reason why I wanted to start this journey. I have pictures for today (and lots of them)!

These are pictures of the seed packets. I just thought they were unique and adorable. I can't wait to open them up and plant!







This is a picture of the resources Brett and I have been reading/plan to read in order to gather more information about: cattle raising (Brett's interest), Seed Handling, Vegetable Preserving, Organic/Community Gardens, and the Art of Slow Food.




Here is a picture of our garden plot...


and for those of you who attended our wedding, you might recognize the pots below. We had leftover pots after the wedding and so we have kept them dry in our basement and began watering them about two weeks ago. The Basil and Chamomile have begun to sprout. We are excited to see if we'll be able to keep them growing and hopefully have some Basil to add to some of our meals later on!!


In the midst of planning our garden, Brett decided we should try and grow grass under our tree in the front yard. You see, we have a beautiful tree out front that is massive (well big for our yard). In the past it has been too shady to grow any grass. So we purchased some shady grass seed and for awhile I was a little doubtful about the grass actually growing, because the weekend after we laid down the seed, it snowed about 7 inches. But, as you can see below, we now have some sprouts. Hopefully they will continue to burst from the soil and surprise us with a green blanket under our "oh so shady" tree.



Even with the small amount of growth so far (Basil, Chamomile, grass), it has been a joy to sow, be patient, and then see the result!! I am more and more excited about this process every day. It does some daunting to live a life engaging with slow food, but I'm excited!!




No comments:

Post a Comment